Some time in the last week or so, TheChillingEffect.org surreptitiously updated its About page (while leaving the date unchanged, with no mention of the update on the page itself or in any posts from that time period [correction, there was a post], quietly laying its origins bare and ultimately all too familiar.
It was created by Bret Jacobson- a 28-year-old free market, anti-labor movement “communications specialist” who founded Maverick Strategies, LLC to spread the messages of like-minded organizations, i.e. anti-regulation front groups.
How many Degrees of Separation from Big Oil FUD?
- TheChillingEffect was adopted around two weeks ago by The Institute for Liberty, a far right, anti-regulation think tank.
- The IFL was until recently headed by Jason F. Wright.
- Jason Wright is a former VP of Frontiers of Freedom, another anti-regulation think tank (boasting such alumni as Willie Soon, S. Fred Singer, Bob Ferguson, Chris Horner, etc.) which is/was an ExxonMobil/oil and tobacco-backed front group.
We can actually do a little better if we look at Big Tobacco directly:
- Bret Jacobson is also a co-founder of the Center for Union Facts.
- The Center for Union Facts is one of the legion of tobacco lobbyist (and all around class act) Rick Berman’s front groups.